Monday, October 1, 2007

Cantaloupe Alamode

Certain food items are very good alone but are yucky together. Please see exhibit A above for one such disturbing concoction. The name of this not so tasty treasure is cantaloupe alamode and the components of it are a big slice of cantaloupe topped off with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. This was the dessert that we were often offered as children at my home but I have never heard or seen it anywhere else. I think my siblings liked it but I never did. So my question is, have you tried cantaloupe alamode or did my mom make it up? I just don't think that cantaloupe belongs with ice cream. But then again I also don't think most fruit belongs with ice cream so I know I'm the weird one.
As for Mike, he has heard me talk about this dessert for years now so he finally decided to test it out. He thought it was good. Try it for yourself but don't blame me if you don't like it.

8 comments:

cari said...

Is it okay for me to pry? It's me, Cari. Your family is so cute, I have never seen pictures of your kids. You'll have to check out our blog.

lys said...

Aim-- The only fruits I like by themselves with ice cream are berries. Ice cream is good on the side with a slice of peach or apple pie, but I normally don't like fruit with ice cream. I know that I would not like cantaloupe with ice cream. Yuck. Did your mom think of this dessert?

Anonymous said...

it might be a utah thing. my mom and dad ate cantaloupe with ice cream. i didn't care for it.
hi amy. it's aimee's mom.

Nicole said...

As soon as I saw the words cantaloupe and ice-cream I thought, Yuck! those don't go together! What did Amy make now? hee hee Then I read on further. Doesn't sound good. I'm curious to know what Mike thought?

Kate said...

Mark always talks about how he was served this "dessert" in Australia. He liked it although, obviously not enough to prepare his own here at home.

p.s. That was SUCH a cute dress you made and wore on Sunday! (The pictured one doesn't do it justice because it's kind of squished.) You're very talented, Amy!!

p.s.s. I broiled some of your yummy home grown tomatoes with steak the other night, and ... delish! You're a green thumb too! Thank you!

Suzie Petunia said...

My teeth hurt just thinking about ice-cold cantaloupe. I think your mom made it up!

AmyJune said...

My mom called me yesterday and told me that her parents used to serve it to her as a dessert growing up.
Welcome PV friends!!!

Unknown said...

Your Mom was onto a good thing but the execution was a bit skewed. For a true cantaloupe ala mode, you simply scoop out the seeds from a half ripe cantaloupe and put a big scoop of vanilla ice cream in the center. I think it's great. If you're insane you'll drizzle a little Grand Marnier over the whole thing.