Friday, July 30, 2010

Birthing Blake finally met its match.

Strong Man Mike showing off his giant arms.

One of many lakes



We finally made it!!!! Tired Mike and Tiffany

The view from the top
The end. Happy, dirty and tired campers.
This week we were supposed to accompany our friend Tiffany on a trip to Havasupai in the grand canyon. We were packed and ready to go for our 3 day adventure when we got the news that our reservation had been cancelled due to flooding. This was very upsetting because we had spent hours packing and preparing and had a place for our kids to go. So Mike suggested that we hike Mt. Whitney instead. He had just gone 2 weeks before with some friends and loved it so we thought we would give it a try. We were hoping to be lucky enough to get a permit at the visitor's center from the unclaimed pile. Luckily we got a permit and I was so happy that I literally jumped for joy.

We spent the first day hiking up 4 miles with our heavy backpacks on. (ok so Mike's was heavy, mine not so much) We set up camp and spent the night next to a huge waterfall. On Wednesday morning we arose bright and early and by 7:30am we were off with our little day packs. We hiked up 7 more miles to the summit and by the time we arrived I nearly cried because I had such a mixed set of emotions....excitement, exhaustion, satisfaction, fatigue.......etc etc. There is a little log book that you sign at the summit and people write comments such as "wow I did it". The only thing I could think of writing was "that was harder than giving birth to my 10lb baby with no drugs." And that's what I wrote. Seriously. Ever since Blake's extremely difficult labor and delivery, when I am doing something physically challenging such as running a half marathon (or beating those stupid boys in my leg of the Ragnar relay race) I always repeat silently, "you can do this Amy, if you birthed Blake you can do anything." So from now on when I am doing something hard I will remember Mt. Whitney (the highest mountain in the continental united states 14,497 ft.) and remind myself that if I can do that I can do anything. Apparently I am as awesome as a 12 year old boy scout now since this seems to be a favorite hike amongst that crew.

Oh we had fun. It was so much fun. It was hard but fun. I really could not have done it without Mike's encouragement and support. I know this is so cheesy but I feel like I can do anything with him at my side. He just makes everything easy. He was positive the entire time. And we were so glad that Tiffany came too. What could be better than being out in nature with 2 of my favorite people on earth.

One more note. I was amazed by the sheer beauty of it all. There were several breathtaking lakes, meadows, flowers, pine trees and waterfalls along the way.

11 comments:

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

Phew! That sounds exhausting and amazing. Congrats!!!

Nicole said...

Wow Amy! I'm so proud of you! (not that I would ever doubt you could do something like that!!)
Jason went last year and loved it and wanted to set up a "couples" hike. Now I know that will NEVER happen for us... if it was that challenging for you... there's no way I could do it! You Rock!

Laura said...

Awesome! The pics are beautiful. Congrats on an amazing accomplishment!

Emily said...

I'm impressed! Looks like it was beautiful as well as quite the challenge. Sorry you missed Havasupai, it's been raining a LOT in N. Arizona with a ton of flooding going on. You'll have to try again sometime.. it's a beautiful place.

Becky M said...

Glad you were able to go. We're just sorry we missed it. Are you up for doing it again in a year or two? :)

rebecca said...

It's not cheesy - it's love!

Wow! Great job Amy! You two are so good about getting away on little trips both alone and with your kids. This looks like so much fun. I don't really have hiking experience so I can't relate, but I know one of these days David will drag me to the top of a mountain. :)

Unknown said...

Congrats! Your way of doing it seems much better than our failed attempt. I'll have to try and drag Luke again sometime. I still have those permits for August...game for a second run? :)

Mommymita said...

you are in great shape - good job! Great pictures too

lys said...

You are awesome, Amy. I love that you and Mike wore your matchy-matchy shirts. I loved reading your detailed description of the adventure because I could totally "hear" you saying it. The only thing that would have made it better were if Miss Kent had been your companion. That would have been truly awesome. (Just hearing her Facebook comments nearly made me fall out of my chair with laughter.)

AmyJune said...

lys- yes Sarah would have been the frosting on the cake. If only. I about died reading facebook too. Especially the part where she explained why she is so friendly. And she was serious too.

amy stansel said...

nice job amy!! this looks like a beautiful hike!! glad the bears didn't eat you!!!