Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Confession Time

I have a little problem. I don't have very good follow through skills. I like to do things all at once and then be done with them because anything that requires mulitiple steps done at different times usually does not get completed. Take for example birthday cards. Sitting in my drawer right now are birthday cards for 3 of my brothers who had birthdays in April. I bought the cards with good intentions but those other steps are what kill me. ie:writing in it, stamping it and addressing it and then actually mailing it. SO if you don't get a card on your birthday from me please know that I probably have one in the drawer for you that you may get sometime or I may throw away when I find it 3 months later.
Right now my issue is the library. I currently owe $31 to my city library. I am prohibited from checking anything out until I pay that fine. That's horrible and I have no good excuse except for my poor follow through skills. Getting them back on time requires 1)I remember when they are due 2)I can find them all and 3)getting to the library on the due date. It is rather embarrassing to me that I can't seem to get my books back on time. From now on Mike is going to put a reminder on his blackberry about the due date. Hopefully this will help. I'm lame, really really lame.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

You're so funny Amy! That reminds me, my SIL's b-day was last week and I need to send out her card! lol
Just so you know... you can go online and renew your books if you can't find them or can't get to the library on due date! That gives you 3 extra weeks to procrastinate!!

Jill said...

You need to sign up with libraryelf.com. It sends you an email reminding you when your books are due. It reminds you a few days before the due date. It also tells you what books are checked out and if you have any books on hold. It's been great for me.
I'm the same way with cards. The only people in my family that get birthday cards are those with birthdays in January.
If worse comes to worse, get library cards for Blake and Julia and check out books on their cards!

lys said...

You are not lame! Jason and I read this and cracked up. We could both totally see you narrating this "confession." Jason thinks it is hilarious that we are friends because I have the opposite problem: I send b-day cards WAY too far in advance just so I can check them off my to-do list and I return library books way before my kids have even had time to enjoy them. Is there a way that both of us can find middle ground?!!!!

Laura said...

I am just shaking my head because I am EXACTLY the same way!! That's why I love online banking (bill autopay), netflix (no late fees), my Kindle (cheap book downloads), and email (for birthdays - and did you know that you can order e-gift cards?). My memory/follow through is so bad that if an activity doesn't make it into my planner, it doesn't happen. Period. You should see my planner. I even have to write down my carpool schedule. How have we survived so long with such sad habits? Oh well, take comfort in the fact that we do have other strengths. :o)