Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Julie and Julia update

So here's a little update on my cooking challenge.
5 recipes down about 60 to go. (obviously I need to pick up the pace) So far so good.
Unfortunately I haven't taken pictures of everything but it has been fun to make some different things.

Chilaquiles pictured below. I have eaten this before but never made it until "the challenge". Basically you fry corn tortillas and make a tomatillo egg sauce in which you submerge the tortilla chips for a gooey mess.
Mediterranean Pizza: this was pretty good. The pizza dough was full of fennel, garlic and other spices and was topped with goat cheese, spinach, fresh tomatoes, artichoke hearts and kalamata olives.

Cole eating Mee Goreng (fried noodles-from singapore) Noodles with eggs, potatoes, soy sauce, bean sprouts, fried shallots and lime juice. Kind of good but not as flavorful or spicey as I like my food. Cole sure liked it.


Not pictured: Tuna sambal (weird warm tuna creation from a singapore restaurant)

Also not pictured: huevos rancheros. This was soooo good:) Fried eggs with homemade black beans, mashed potatoes and fried tortilla served with a yummy tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes.

I can't believe I eventually have to make duck. Yikes

4 comments:

Karmy McKee said...

Oh...yum! Amy you are the best cook:)

rebecca said...

Ditto Karmy. I'm so glad you're posting your progress. What a fun adventure.

lys said...

That pizza looks so good. So, are you going to put off that duck recipe until the end just like the real Julia? ;) (I'm assuming that you don't have to "bone" it, right?)

Nicole said...

I think it's great you're doing this! I wish I was so brave. I know if I tried, all my hard work would go in the trash when none of my family members would even give it a taste! (except my hubby who is always gracious where my cooking is concerned). Be sure to pass on the yummy (and easy) recipes for some of us less talented cooks!