Monday, June 29, 2009

Why I don't need an iPod

I have been running since I was a teenager and have never liked listening to music while I run. Recently I started thinking about why I prefer to run in silence and I think it is because it is the one time during the day when I get to be alone and think. My head is clear and it's just me and the pavement. Besides, I would miss so many things if I was distracted by an iPod.
Example 1: I was running by the local karate studio last week when I observed a guy with no shirt on instructing a younger guy on how to properly do a push up. While he was doing the demonstration he had a lit cigarette in his mouth. hmmmmm...let me show you how to get stronger while I fill my body with cancer.
Example 2: Last week I saw the following sentence written on the ground in sidewalk chalk. "Don't be a a**" Hmmmmm, the irony was too much. I believe that should be written, "don't be an a**"
It's also Jacaranda and Agapantha season and the world is abloom in purple!!! So beautiful.

5 comments:

rebecca said...

Unless I'm running with someone, I always run with an iPod. The music keeps me going. I don't like background noise in pretty much every other situation (I almost never turn on music while driving unless I'm forced to by my people).

Funny about the smoking push-up guy. :) Keep enjoying your runs! I wish I had as much love for it as you do. You're inspiring.

lys said...

Jacaranda and Agapantha: those two words always make me think of your mom.

Laura said...

We call Agapanthas the "4th of July plant" - because the blooms look like fireworks. I love them.

I so admire your running ability. Along with many of your other abilities. You are a wonderful lady!

Tracy said...

I also like to run without music! But every now and then it's nice not to think and just put in something mindless.

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

I've always been impressed that you run - with or without music. I only can run with a buddy (like my husband). Otherwise I wimp out and walk (well right now I have a good excuse just to walk)...