Sunday, May 31, 2009

My 15 minutes (seconds) of fame

On our way to Disneyland last week we were listening to NPR in the car and they were discussing the recent California State Supreme Court's ruling upholding Prop. 8. I called in to voice my opinion and was shocked when they actually picked up the phone. I have tried calling in a few times in the past couple of years regarding a range of topics but have ALWAYS had a busy signal. I have also written a few letters to the editor of the Los Angeles Times and never once been published.
I was so caught off guard that they took my call that I sounded like a bumbling fool. (hence i am not posting a link for anyone to listen to)
It was really weird and kind of exhilarating to hear myself on the radio.

7 comments:

lys said...

I'm searching out the link right now. After I find it, I'll send it to Jomama since he loves NPR so much.

Emily said...

Good for you to actually call about it to begin with!

pepper said...

Amy, didn't you already get your 15 seconds of fame at a water tasting event a couple years ago?
I wish I had been listening.

Laura said...

Good for you, Amy! I have always admired your ability and willingness to share your opinions..do it as often as you can because you are right on track!
Incidentally, I called into a cooking show once and was also a bumbling idiot. And all I was doing was asking for help with my pecan pie recipe!

Becky M said...

I was listening to the radio during parts of that show. I heard many other people, but I'm sad to hear that I wasn't listening when you were on!

nikki said...

Can I have your autograph?j/k very cool!

Nicole said...

I did that once too when people were saying they didn't think it was a big deal that a Mom bought a ton of alcohol for her underage son and friends to have a party at her house. I was fuming and they put me on and I couldn't make an educated sentence. Stage fright? Good for your and your passion to stand for what you believe in!