Wednesday, January 28, 2009

When Sewing is NOT fun

Sewing is usually a nice outlet for me. I get to do something that does not involve children (although it usually benefits one of them) and I enjoy the creative process of making something from start to finish in a relatively short span of time. (hence the reason I will NEVER enjoy scrap booking-never ending project)
However there are certain times when I just want to beat my head against the wall, throw the dumb thing away, and never touch my machine again. This almost finished dress for Julia's 2nd birthday is one such project. I altered the pattern and then realized halfway through the dress t that I had altered it to be too small so I had to re-alter it. I have never made something like it before and while it isn't necessarily hard, it has just been sooooo time consuming for some reason. And the worst part is that even though I want to throw it away and just make her a different dress I can't justify wasting all those hours. grrrrrrrrr!!!!! And now I must return to my sewing room dungeon to finish this dumb thing before her birthday.
Wish me luck.

6 comments:

amy stansel said...

Amy I am so impressed with all you sew. I wish I could sew like you!!! It's way too frustrating to me so I avoid it as much as possible. Good luck. looks like it'll be a cute dress!

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rebecca said...

It looks super cute despite the drama.

As an ex-scrapper, I agree! Never-ending. :)

Mommymita said...

I know the feeling! I call those flops and sometimes they do hit the garbage.

I'm telling you - you have to check out the japanese sewing books for children. I don't think you would have to do much altering because Julia looks tall and thin. The Japanese patterns are cut very narrow.

Still you just may be able to salvage your dress. Sometimes my flops after many alterations turn out way better than the original design.

Happy sewing!

Helen said...

You are amazing with your sewing abilities. I could never do it, I would be too frustrated..so I just stick to the never-ending scrapbooking, its less frustrating for me ;)