Wednesday, January 21, 2009

MLK Day Parade

Everyone loves a parade. Unfortunately, Mike had to work on MLK Day, but I really wanted to take our kids to see the annual Martin Luther King Parade in Los Angeles. I had been once before several years ago and it was a rather fascinating cultural experience. I knew that spirits would be high on this day, being the day before the inauguration of America's first African-American president, and I wanted to partake of the joy of this momentous occasion. So I enlisted my good friend and former roommate Tiffany to come with me and the kids and off we went. I think every African American who lives in LA was there. It was awesome!!!! You could just feel the excitement in the air. Tiffany even bought some good soul food from some street vendors and shared it with us- sweet potato pie and peach cobbler.

Blake was really fascinated by all the police motorcycles doing fancy tricks, and Julia was mesmerized enough by the whole affair to ACTUALLY stay put in her stroller on the sidelines for almost 40 minutes.

I had no idea that CHP officers had bow ties for special occasions. Cool huh!!!

Not such a good picture but it was kind of neat to see LAPD Chief Bratton and Sheriff Bacca in real life. (and not just on the 5 o'clock news)

Julia just sat there wiggling her feet to the marching band music.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

That's great that you went. I would have been intimidated, I think. It was definitely a momentous occasion.