Sunday, January 25, 2009

Help us eat more beef

While most people are trying to not eat as much red meat, I am trying to add it in our diet. I have never been a big beef eater. I hate steak and pretty much avoid all red meat. I'm just not a meat and potatoes kind of girl. I figure that it isn't really healthy anyway, and the sight of a big slab of raw bloody beef has always made me feel sick. We eat tons of chicken, pork, fish and shrimp but I probably only serve red meat for dinner once every month or two. In the summer Mike will buy steaks and grill them so at least he gets steak once in awhile.


But being that this is a new year, one of my new years resolutions is to overcome my beef aversion. I know that my poor husband would like to eat more red meat and so I really want to serve it more. My problem is that I don't really know what to do with it. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of "beef" choices at the grocery store. Is ribeye better than round etc etc. So this is why I am blogging about it. Do any of you out there have some good beef recipes they could send me. Pretty much the only beef I know how to make is barbecued beef brisket in the oven and chili made with stew meat. I feel kind of lame admitting that I have no clue how to cook beef, but alas it is true. Please help me fulfill my new years resolution of serving beef once a week.

12 comments:

Emily said...

Amy: buy a big slab of something beefy. Put it in the crockpot with a smidgeon of water (maybe 1/4 cup). Add something (sliced onions and taco seasoning OR Montreal steak seasoning OR carrots and potatoes OR teriyaki sauce, OR barbeque sauce OR make up your own concoction -- you can't really go wrong). Cook until dinner. Shred it right before you serve, if desired. Your beef will be legendary and people will ask for the recipe for years to come. Serious.

Emily said...

PS -- cook it on low. Unless it's frozen and you want to eat it within 4 hours or so, then high. The crockpot is the EASIEST, MOST FORGIVING way to cook meat, ever.

Emily said...

Our favorites:

tri-tip roast- grilled, tastes really, really good. Doesn't even need that many spices on it.

sirloin steak- again grill or even broil, it's pretty versatile meat.

We also use sirloin for fajitas and stir-fry. Those are good options if you don't want to eat a big slab of meat.

Keir Jones said...

Amy...I've got some for ya...anything to help out my boy Mike! While I'm laid up this week I'll send them over to you guys. Don't worry, they're safe...not any crazy Korean family secretes...you'll enjoy them too! Be in touch soon.

rebecca said...

Ok, that first pic does make meat look disgusting. :)

Good luck in your quest. I don't have a secret recipe to share, but if you can figure out how to make something like the Mongolian Beef I had at The Elephant Bar last night, you're golden. :)

pepper said...

The first thing that came to mind is my mom's beef stroganoff. I will have to get the recipe to you later. My mom is out of town and I always have to pick her brain for the little details as I am cooking.

AmyJune said...

Keir- actually I want the korean ones, just make sure they don't give us food poisoning...ha ha ha. (don't worry, only Mike got sick all those years ago, not me:)) Hope you are feeling better.

lys said...

Ha! I'm impressed. That will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER be my New Year's Resolution. While I'm willing to bend over backwards for hubby on a lot of things, I'm not willing to budge on the meat thing. I just can't handle it. He's learned to love ground turkey, turkey hot dogs, fish, pork, and meatless entrees. Good luck, but I have no advice for you.

--Catherine does make a mean brisket, though-- you should ask her for the recipe.

lys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

I'd love any great recipes you receive. I've never been a great chef of beef either, because I just don't know what cut is best or how to cook it. I usually avoid it except ground beef or crock pot roast.

Mommymita said...

I'm so sick of red meat! I had it everyday last week to get my iron up.

My sister Emily has an amazing garlic Korean recipe and I can post it here or email it to you.

My family loves steak kabobs - you can grill them in summer or just broil them in the winter but since its all the same in CA do what works.

Here it is and I won't take the credit because it is from the Disney family cookbook;

1 1/2 lb london broil or flank steak about 3/8" thick (have the butcher cut it or cut slightly frozen)
1/2 cup soy sauce (tamari is even better!)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water (OJ is even better!)
2 TBS dark molasses
1 tsp ground ginger (or fresh - just use more)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or a few cloves fresh)

Cut the steak on the diagonal (bias in sewing terms) and place in a gallon ziplock. Mix ingredients and pour over cut up steak. Mash around to help tenderize it and let it marinate for 4 hrs in the fridge or freezer.

Put on skewers and gril 3 mins on each side

This is great with rice and asparagus.
Let me know if you want the Korean one I'll email it to you

Helen said...

Oh, I never make beef like that. I'm clueless and it grosses me out. Looks like I'll be sending Barry over to your house for dinner ;)