Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Because She's Carol




The day before Blake's birthday he got a card in the mail from my sister Carol. As I showed him the card I couldn't help but think how remarkable it was that she had the time, energy and remembrance to send him a card. But then again, she is Carol. Let me explain. For the past 2 years, Carol has been living in Spain with her husband, presiding over 100 plus missionaries who are serving our church in that region of the country. She is also the mother of 4 children, one of whom is getting married at the end of this month. Planning a wedding from thousands of miles away is not an easy or fun chore. But she is Carol. I have always been in awe of my oldest sibling. She is literally the most talented, organized and efficient person I have ever met. (you couldn't find any "junk" in this woman's house if you peeked in every drawer, nook and cranny. Everything is labeled and filed away neatly. The rest goes in the trash) She is a fabulous cook, entertainer, seamstress, and interior designer. She is also an amazing example of a wonderful mother and wife and I have always looked up to her.

Oftentimes I wonder how she gets it all done. Out of the seven of us she is the one who is the most like my Dad. I see so much of him in her and it is so nice to have his wonderful qualities live on even though he has been gone for such a long time.

When I grow up, I want to be like her!!! I am so lucky that she is my sister. I'm so excited that all 7 of us will be together on May 31st for Lauren's wedding. It should be quite a party. And mostly I am excited to see Carol who I haven't seen for 2 years.

7 comments:

rebecca said...

That was so touching Amy. I got a little teary there. Sisters are the best. I'm happy you get to be with all of your siblings so soon!

Helen said...

She sounds awesome! I want to be like her when I grow up too.

PS I LOVE your hair in this picture!

Nicole said...

What a sweet post about your sister! That was very touching. You're so blessed to have someone in your life who is such an inspiration.

Kelly(M&M) said...

What a wonderful tribute to your sister. I don't know either of you and I teared up. :-) I guess that makes me crazy! I would love to chat with you about your dad sometime. It is nice to find someone who might understand what I am going through.

lys said...

You are so fortunate to have such great sisters. I have always loved both Carol and Jean. They are both such talented, kind-hearted, fabulous women.

AmyJune said...

M&M- email me your phone number and I will call you. ajstansel@yahoo.com

Anne said...

I love Carol, too!! You are so blessed to have such a wonderful family!! I bet it was so wonderful to see them all at the wedding and go to Spain!! WOW!!