Sunday, September 9, 2007

Who are those water aliens?


Tiffany, Nikki, and I participated in the Malibu Aquathon yesterday morning and it turned out to be a very fun experience. Several months ago I was online looking for upcoming races and saw this one. I had never done an "aquathon" (swim and run) before and decided that it would be a fun adventure. Of course I didn't want to do it alone so I cajoled the above friends into doing it with me. I felt like an alien wearing a swim cap, goggles, and a wet suit. I had never ever swam in a race before, let alone a race in the ocean so I knew I was in for an entertaining experience. We swam a half mile in the ocean and then came out, changed, and ran a 5K. I can't wait to do it again next year. The day was beautiful and what better place to spend it than at the beach. I didn't even pee my pants when I was running. And I even won a pair of socks in the raffle afterwards.

But wait, there's more. After the race we went to the UCLA vs. BYU game and had a great time. As an alumna of both universities I knew that I would be happy regardless of who won. Turns out the Bruins came out on top. I dressed Julia in UCLA gear and Blake in BYU gear. Julia celebrated by blowing out her entire outfit at the end of the game.
But let me make a confession. After going to numerous football games I must say that I still don't really have a clue as to what is going on. Watching a football game is like listening to a random foreign language. Kind of fascinating for a few minutes until the ADD sets in.

10 comments:

Melissa C. said...

Love it! You guys are awesome!

Emily said...

I heard about the blow-out and something about CPR??

Kate said...

Nikki told me all about your race. 2 Marathons in one year, Wow! Football is SO technical.

Suzie Petunia said...

Congrats on the race! I'll have to get over my fear of water and swim one of these days.

I love that you pitted your kids against each other at the football game. Julia was just trying to make a statement about her school preference with the blow out I think. :) Very funny! Gotta love poo.

lys said...

You rock, Aim. First the 1/2 marathon. . . then this. You are my hero.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Sounds like my perfect day! I would love to try an aquathon sometime. The family pic at the game is really cute. I was disppointed by the game, but it was pretty exciting at the end.

Aimee said...

Amy you are amazing! I am so glad I found your blog.

rebecca said...

You girls ROCK! And der, I didn't realize until this post that you graduated from both BYU and UCLA! I mean, I knew that, but it didn't all come together for me in relation to the football game. How fun! And Julia's shirt is totally cute.

Amy said...

Wow Amy!!! That race sounds fun! Good for you! BYU should have won the game. The refs definitely wanted UCLA to win and they helped them!!!

Nicole said...

Wow Amy! Again - I am impressed and you amaze me! Very cool that you just try something new like that! Your kids are adorable!