Saturday, September 15, 2007

CAMPING-All fun and games until you become "that guy".

Last night, we had our third annual camping trip with Jean and her family. We camped at Leo Carrillo which is right across the street from the beach. It was a beautiful day and we were all charmed by the amazing starfish that we found in the tide pools.
Dinner was great, thanks to my dutch oven potato cooking husband, and we enjoyed sitting around the campfire. And then it became time to retire for the night and MY CHILD SCREAMED his lungs out at 10:30 pm because he didn't want to put his pajamas on. Mind you, there are many other campers VERY NEAR to us. I was mortified to be "that guy with the screaming kid". Once he was finally subdued, it was Julia's turn for the spotlight. She woke up crying 3 or 4 times in the night and so I became the all-night all you can eat buffet. Not much sleep happened on my side of the air mattress.
So tonight I am grateful that my children are asleep in their own room, that I get to sleep in my own bed and most importantly, that I don't have to be "that guy". Until next year that is.
p.s. Mike informed me before this trip that he thinks we should go camping 4 times a year. hmmmmmm...what do you think?



8 comments:

rebecca said...

GREAT pictures Amy! I so know how you feel - camping always seems like a great idea, until you're there and one or more children are a little bit ummm . . . noisy. And it's cold and the small people don't agree with the sleep all night plan. But it's all about building family memories, right?!

lys said...

You are very, very brave to take two small children camping. I would never do it. Then again, I hate camping. . .

Emily said...

Camping is fun, but twice a year. Tops.

Becky M said...

We've been "that guy" before too! I think the more you go though, the more the kids get accustomed to the idea and become better about sleeping in a tent. We've been camping 5 times since Tanner was born, and the kids have all done great, this year!

Amy said...

Sounds like fun - ok other than the screaming. Wish we lived closer so we could go with you and our kids could scream together!

Emily said...

Isn't not sleeping the whole fun of camping??

Nicole said...

Wow Amy! I'm impressed you took 2 young kids tent camping. Remember, it gets easier as they get older!

Sarah said...

You are so my hero ! I am just now starting to get the urge to try a camping trip ! Jake and I have not been camping our whole marriage. My family made it very clear to him when we were dating that I DO NOT CAMP ! But since Brooklyn has come along and is such an out doorsy girl, I am warming up to the idea and all of the famiy memories that come with it ! One of these days we will brave it ! Thanks for the inspiration.