Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Happiest place on earth-or Hottest place on earth????

Yesterday I ran the Disneyland 1/2 marathon with my friends Rachelle and Julie. I was very excited to participate in an event which started and finished at the "Happiest place on earth". The course was very flat so I assumed I would do well. What I was not expecting was that it would be 80 degrees when we started at 6am. (and that was just before the sun was rising) By the time I finished it was easily 90+ . It got up to 109 in the afternoon. It's NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THIS HOT IN THIS PART OF CALIFORNIA.
I was also not expecting to pee my pants around mile 8. I should have more pride than to admit this but what the heck, I wet my pants and there was nothing I could do about it. Although I have heard about this happening to runners, this has never happened to me and I was so mortified. It wasn't that I just didn't want to stop to use a porta potty, NOPE, all of the sudden I felt my bladder start releasing. That was fun.
Yeah, no personal record for me. And I was so hot when I finished that I forgot to have Mike take a picture. It wouldn't have been pretty anyway.

11 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

Well, Amy, I found out about this race right after I bought my plane tickets to CA, so I flew out on SUnday. Sorry we weren't able to meet up. Maybe next time under different circumstances. Or you can always come visit Sarah and Kristie here in Portland!! Good job on running in the heat. I will admit I skipped my long run because of the heat and waited to run it back home. You definitely do weird things as a runner, ha ha.

Tiffany said...

I was feeling really bad for bailing on you for this run but now hearing how hot it was...all the guilt is gone. :)

rebecca said...

You rock Amy! You are just amazing - you and your running abilities - wt pants or not! I agree SoCal shouldn't be this hot, but at least we don't live in AZ or NV etc. where it IS this hot like 6 months out of the year. Next year I'll run with you . . . oh wait, next year YOU'LL be the one great with child. :) Why did we decide to have our babies in alternating years? We really should have thought more carefully about our plan.

Amy said...

I am finally checking blogs again. Congrats on running. Sounds VERY VERY hot. It reminds me too much of the marathon i ran. Hopefully the pee cooled you off a little!! Ha! We miss you guys!!! I love the laundry bag you made for rebecca.

Mike A said...

Congrats, honey! I'm so proud of you for doing so well under such extreme conditions. I love you!

Emily said...

If you are going to have to pee somewhere.. why not at the happiest place on earth? Hope things are little cooler down in LA now.

pepper said...

Did the pee help cool you off? Hopefully a little, if nothing else. I had never heard of that. I went running that morning, and was amazed at how hot it was. I am so impressed that you ran a half marathon let alone in that heat.

Kate said...

You are just the running queen! I love that every time I'm driving out of my house, there you are a runnin' on the sidewalk. It's no wonder why you have the best legs ever!

AmyJune said...

M&M Someday we will go up to Oregon to visit all of our friends. We hear it is so beautiful up there.

Emily said...

Amy, I am so proud of you! And I love you so much for peeing your pants randomly in a race (I know. . . because it happens sometimes to runners) and telling us about it! You are the BEST!

Melissa C. said...

Awesome Amy! At least you didn't diarrhea in your pants! :) And by the way, we were having weather in the 80's here in HOT Texas, while MILD So CA was having 110 degree weather. HA!