Sunday, September 23, 2007

Do I miss working?

The past few weeks I have seen a few old friends and the question that has come time and again has been, "do you miss your job?" It's not the kind of question that I can answer with a quick yes or no. I loved my job. I worked as a school social worker at a middle school ,dealing with all the truant kids. It was fascinating, challenging, entertaining at times, never dull or boring, and I believed in the work I was doing. When I had Blake, I went down to working one day a week. That worked well for the first year after Blake was born but then I got pregnant again and decided to stop working entirely. I thought I would be really traumatized by not working. My job wasn't just a job to me, it was who I was, Amy the social worker, and I was scared to loose my identity.
But I gotta say, staying home full time has been so wonderful and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am so glad I was able to work for 5 years in my field and I hope to return someday, but for now this is who I am and what I do. Of course I miss the kids and all of the stuff associated with my job but I get to be with MY kids all day and teach them all of the things that I think are important. How great is that? I have 2 little sponges that I get to fill each and every day. Some days, when I want to pull my hair out because my little creatures are driving me bonkers I remind myself that at least I get to be the one with them and not someone else. I think about the alternative of me being gone all day and not getting that time with them and it makes me cringe. And when I look in on them as they sleep I cannot help falling in love all over again no matter how difficult the day has been.
So here's to staying home. Here's to deciding when I want to get dressed each day instead of rushing out the door at 7am. Here's to a life filled with playing outside, changing blow outs, singing the hokey pokey, story time at the library, park days, and reading the same book 100 times a day. :)


p.s. the answer to the question in the last post is 2 years 5 months.

4 comments:

rebecca said...

AMEN! Here's to staying home. I'm so grateful that I can stay home. I'm making this up as I go along, but there's nothing I'd rather do, and I wouldn't want anyone else doing it for me.

Really nice post Amy. I'm happy for you that you too can spend your days with poopy diapers. :)

Melissa C. said...

Staying home is the BEST! I never missed working at all (but then again, I never had a job that I LOVED). And ditto what you said about looking in on them as they sleep. I "check" the kids EVERY night before bed, and when I see them sleeping there, it's all worth it - I love them so much!

Kate said...

Beautiful Amy. What a beautiful tribute to mothers and to those who choose to do the hardest, yet most rewarding work ever: Motherhood. You do a wonderful job with your children, Amy. And just think... all your education, and experience in your field is now blessing your children's lives as you train, and rear them. YOU get to be the one whose example and teachings they absorb. I LOVE being a mother and being with my kids all day, albeit as wild and crazy as it gets sometimes!

Amy said...

yeah amy! I love staying at home too -even though sometimes it's not always so fun!
oh and about the wheat - i use it for EVERYTHING!!! Pancakes, bread .....whatever. You don't have to do 100% whole wheat if it's too heavy (although there are ways to make it lighter) but i always use at least half whole wheat and half white.