Monday, January 8, 2007

Sorry if I poisoned you on Christmas

True confession time. As you know, Christmas fell on a Monday this year. The Friday before Christmas, Blake woke up with the stomach flu. I didn't think too much of it and figured it would be a 24 hour bug. I was careful about what he ate and he seemed to feel better as the day progessed. Saturday morning he awoke hungry and happy and full of life. I assumed he was better. I spent the entire day in my kitchen making Christmas treats to share with friends. Frosted sugar cookies, fudge, toffee, you get it. Anyway, on Saturday night we delivered these treats to 15 friends. We came home and I put Blake to bed. Well, around 11pm he awoke throwing up. And in the middle of the night, I woke up and had to throw up. My first thought was "oh great I just poisoned half of our ward." So the debate raging in my head was, do I tell my friends to throw away the treats or do I just hope they don't get sick. I must admit that I did not tell the 15 treat recipients that I may have spread the flu to them. I don't know, does the stomach virus get passed if you give someone cookies you've frosted the day before you got sick???? Anyway, to anyone who might be reading this who was a recipient of my treats I would like to offer my sincere apology if I did indeed poison you. And to everyone else, I'm curious to know your thoughts about what you would have done. So Merry Christmas and happy barfing.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Hmm. Did you breathe really hard on the cookies, or lick the spoon and put it back in the bowl? Because if you didn't, and since you surely used clean hands, I think it's okay. That said, I have a little bit of an unfounded fear of food cooked in unknown kitchens. I'm becoming sort of a germophobe in my old age, and this scenario did nothing to lessen my fears.

(I would not be afraid of food from your kitchen--just from people with less than stellar cleaning habits, or lots of pets, or other such germ pools.)

Emily said...

And, I hope you're feeling better!

Suzie Petunia said...

I'm impressed with your openess and honesty on the matter. :) I don't know what I would do! I suppose I couldn't help but tell my closest friends and hope they forgive me. I'm sure your treats were so yummy your friends would all forgive you...

lys said...

Aim, I have to commend you once again for your candidness. I have to admit that I probably wouldn't have said anything at all. Plus, I think that Emily is right on-- as long as your hands were clean (which undoubtedly they were), you are fine. I'm sure that no one got sick from your treats.

p.s. Could you send some toffee my way? ;)