Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pupusas



About 10 years ago someone introduced me to the lovely taste of pupusas. Originating from El Salvador, they are made of corn masa with cheese, beans and pork inside and topped with a cabbage concoction on top. (kind of like a quesadilla) I used to work right by a pupuseria and would go once a week when they had their $1 pupusa day. For some reason I never thought of making them. Finally last week I decided it was finally time to download some recipes and try my hand at them. Gotta love the internet.
They turned out ok but trying to keep the filling inside the masa was very difficult. Thank goodness Tiffany was a willing participant in this project when she came up to visit. She did a much better job forming those guys than I did.

November 13th has been declared national day of the pupusa by the nation of El Salvador and so maybe I'll try them again then. Wanna come over?

Cole liked them. He also liked his giant serving of black beans on the side. He loves beans.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

that picture of cole is killing me. so funny. i'd love to hire a cleaning lady and then get a food fight with your kids.

Brittany said...

Loving the picture of Cole...could he get any dirtier???

Laura said...

Yes, I wanna come over. Just let me know...

Laura Barker said...

sounds super fun! I always admire your willingness and eagerness to to try new things. Cole looks like Jack Jack in this picture. :)

amy stansel said...

ooooh this looks yummy! Love how you are always willing to try making new things!

jenbulkley said...

I want that recipe! I love those things! jenbulkley@yahoo.com

Mommymita said...

yummy! I like that you added cortido also. There is a place around here we love but haven't ventured to make them yet