Saturday, August 22, 2009

Doing things that I am not good at

This week I went waterskiing for the first time. Or maybe I should say, I attempted to go waterskiing. I did get up once for a few seconds after trying about a million times. Mostly I just experienced inhaling water through my nose as I fell face first in the water. Then I moved onto wakeboarding which was a little easier, although still quite difficult for someone like me.:) I don't have any pictures of me waterskiing, just one of Mike and I in the tubes. Cole showed us how much he enjoyed being on the boat by sleeping pretty much the entire time.

And these are the young pros who made it look so easy.
Once again, I am reminded that the reason why I run is because I do not excel at any other outdoor sport. (ok, I can ride a bike) So for all of you coordinated folks out there, be grateful for your skills. There are so many things I would love to do if I could. Tennis, basketball, volleyball etc etc. And please don't tell me that I could learn with enough practice, because let's just be honest, no amount of practice will change my genetic inability. I was always chosen last in 6th grade for PE sports teams because I was the gimpiest. In the ballet classes my mom used to force me to take I was always the tallest, oldest (because I could never advance to the next level) and most awkward.
If you ever want to feel good at any sport, just invite me to come with you, because I guarantee that you will always be better than me. Yup, I am the weakest link.
Today we went ocean kayaking and everyone else did just fine except for me who got absolutely pummeled by a wave. Even the life guard came running over from her station to find out what was going on. And yet I will try it again next time because I think it is kind of fun. I will try water skiing again too if I have the chance. I guess I just have no shame. I'm bad at things and yet I don't even have enough pride to stop doing them.
Good thing Mike is coordinated, or our children would have absolutely no chance.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

I LOVE you Amy!

I too feel like the most uncoordinated, tallest, most awkward etc., yet I persist in doing things I shouldn't be doing. Ballet for example (and I'm not 10!) That's why we're friends. We have no shame. :)

Ditto on your comment about hubby's genes - at least they have a chance.