Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I just want to hold my baby

Here I am in bed with the laptop for the third day in a row. We went down to my Mom's after church on Easter for what was to be a wonderful Easter dinner and egg hunt (and peep blowing up event) with 3 of my siblings and their families. No sooner did I arrive than I started to feel like a wilting flower. I finally sequestered myself in my Mom's room after I started shivering in the warm weather and I feel asleep for 3 hours. Egg hunt-missed it. Easter dinner-missed it. Chatting with the family-missed it. Blowing up peeps-missed it. Seeing the reaction on Andi's face when she arrived to see Julia dressed in a matching Easter dress (Jean and I bought the fabric together downtown and then we each made a dress out of it)-missed it. I hate missing a party, it kills me. In 1984 the Olympics came to LA and we had tickets to see Mary Lou Retton compete in the women's gymnastics event. I was sick and I missed it. Can you tell I'm still bitter.
Although, I must say that if I am going to be sick the place to be sick is at Mom's house. Something about having Mom take care of me made me feel better even with my raging fever. We ended up spending the night because I literally could not get out of bed.
Anyway, we are home now and I am starting to feel slightly better, although I am still pretty useless here in bed. That's the thing with the flu, it always seems to last several days and I just don't have that kind of patience. I just feel horrible that I can't hold Julia and play with Blake. Thank you to Rebecca for taking Julia for the day. IT means more than you know. And thank you to my wonderful husband for taking such good care of me and the kids.
And sorry no pictures from Easter. That's what happens when the mommy is sick.

11 comments:

Ashley said...

Bummer! I'm so sorry you had to miss the fun. I hope that you are feeling better soon. Soak up the rest, you won't get anymore when you're better. :)

Nicole said...

Oh, Amy. I'm sorry you were so sick! Yuck! It's hard when Mommy is down. I'm glad Mike was there to take care of you, and your Mom of course. Feel better soon!

Emily said...

Hope you feel better soon!!

lys said...

It was so weird to read this because this is SO UNLIKE YOU! I think that I've known you to be sick exactly two times in the 14 years that I've known you. I'm so, so sorry that missed out on all the festivities, Ms. Social Butterfly.

Tell me, though, that someone took a picture of Julia in her dress! I'm dying to see it!

lys said...

I meant, "I'm so, so sorry that YOU missed out on all the festivities. . ."

Ooops.

Kate said...

Amy, I can't believe the flu got you! Too bad about having it over the holiday. Hope the rest of the fam stays in the clear! I'm calling you right now.

Suzie Petunia said...

Oh, bless your little heart! (That is what my mom always says to help me feel better... and it works.) There is something special about having your mom take care of you when you're sick... maybe especially when you are an adult and you are only used to taking care of others. But I'm really sorry you missed all the fun Easter stuff. I'm sure the party wasn't nearly as fun without you!

Mommymita said...

Hope you're feeling better Amy! It is not fun being down! Especially when you are such a high energy peron - but at least you had your mom to help and laptop to keep you entertained.

Helen said...

I hope you're feeling better...(I think you are), but just in case. Let me know if you need anything. :)

rebecca said...

So glad you're feeling better. And no worries - I know you'd watch all 5 of my kids if I needed you to.

I can't believe you misses Mary Lou! I'd be bitter too.

When I was a tween, I got the chicken pox for the second time. My mom noticed the little itchy bumps as I was literally half way out the door on my way to perform as a locust (plastic black trash bag as costume) in our ward roadshow. I'm still bitter. I would have been an awesome locust.

nikki said...

Dude you had tickets to see Marylou? I used to want to be her!