Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Humpty Dumpty








It all started several months ago when my pregnant friend Rebecca asked if I had ever sewn a car seat cover. I told her no and that it seemed really scary and hard, but I was up for the challenge if she found some material she liked. You see, baby Nathan could not come home in a PINK car seat, so a new cover was necessary.

Honestly this was the most intimidating and SCARY sewing project I have ever undertaken. No pattern, no instructions.....good luck!!! Now this little project would be no big deal for Carol (my oldest sis) who has magical sewing powers and the ability to whip anything up under the sun, but you see I was not blessed with the same talent. I am the type that needs a pattern to tell me what to do and then I can do it.

I had to basically take apart the cover and sun shade thingy piece by piece to form my own pattern and then figure out how to sew it all back together again. Hence Humpty Dumpty. There were many moments (hours) when I wondered if it would just end up looking cheesy and ridiculous.

20 hours later........a new car seat emerged. Now baby Nathan is allowed to be born. I feel like that was some sort of final exam and I think I passed. I'm actually pleased by the way it turned out. Now I can say that I have conquered my biggest sewing fear. I hope Nathan likes it!

16 comments:

Helen said...

Are you kidding me right now?! I am majorly impressed...you are so talented.

pepper said...

Wow! Who says your sis has all the talent. Well done.

lys said...

You never cease to amaze me! (And I think it's hilarious that you always try to downplay your sewing skills. For the record, the world should know that you are a seamstress extraordinaire!)

Stacie said...

Amazing! I don't think I could have done that. Dave has been after me to make new car seat covers for one of his cars for years now. His mom and I took the seat cover apart to make a pattern and actually cut out all the pieces but that is as far as we got. I don't think we will ever get it sewn together. What a lucky friend you have! You could make those and sell them on ebay.

Emily said...

Wow! Amy.. that turned out great. I think all of your hard work definitely paid off! I would agree that it's not just Carol that has the talent.

Tiffany said...

Amy it's AMAZING! It looks just like the original. I'm so proud of you and it's official your semstress level has been upgraded.

rebecca said...

Amy, you ROCK! I LOVE my carseat soooo much. I am going to carry Nathan around in that thing until he's 5 years old, I swear! :) I will be the envy of every mom thanks to you. It's so beyond fabulous. I LOVE it LOVE it LOVE it!!! It's even more impressive in person. Nathan really needs to get a move on now. I can't wait to show him off AND the most fabulous carseat anyone has ever seen. You are incredibly talented, Amy. Thank you, thank you.

gingerdee said...

well, all the king's horses and all the king's men are put to shame! you put that thing together again perfectly! I was already impressed by your sewing skills (and many other talents) but this was a hefty project! what could possibly top it? amazing.

Ashley said...

It turned out so great! Maybe you can start your own line. :)

Melissa C. said...

It's PERFECT! Enough said.

Kate said...

YOU DID IT!! You conquered! CONGRATS! I'm so proud of you, my sewing friend!! Rebecca will be sporting Nathan in one coveted "Amy Original"!

Nicole said...

The final product turned out amazing! I'm totally impressed! I can't wait to see it in person, along with Nathan as a centerpiece!

Suzie Petunia said...

You did it! That is so impressive! it looks great - your friend must be so happy. I have thought about doing this, but seeing as my baby is already born... I'd be stuck in the house with a baby who doesn't have a car seat for who knows how long... maybe forever! That is a very intimidating project. I'm so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can add this to your line of designer diapers. No, seriously, there is probably a big market out there for this.

nikki said...

You are so talented! Your a great friend to have!

nikki said...

You are so talented! Your a great friend to have!