Thursday, September 16, 2010

Has this ever happened to you?

I was in the dentist's chair a few days back getting 2 out of my 7, yes I said 7, cavities filled. She finally finished and told me I could close my mouth. But the problem was that I COULD NOT CLOSE MY MOUTH. My jaw was locked open. Has this ever happened to anyone? I started laughing while drool was escaping my numbed up mouth because it really was quite comical that I could not close my own mouth. The dentist had to fiddle with my head/jaw to get it to close. For the rest of the day I was terrified to open my mouth very wide for fear it would be stuck that way.
Lucky me, next week I get to go back for the third and final session of cavity time with the dentist.
I am starting to feel a little old upon realizing that both my dentist and family doctor are younger than me. And then I think about my OB and I feel young again. The man has a full set of dentures.

p.s. Mike does not really believe that I could not close my mouth. (Literally not figuratively mind you) Will you please tell him that this DOES really happen.

8 comments:

lys said...

It happens to me all the time. I've never had it diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I have some form of TMJ.

7 cavities? How did that happen?

Karmy McKee said...

You are hilarious Amy:)

Brittany said...

i admire your ability to laugh at yourself-there is no better trait!

Emily said...

7 cavities?? OUCH Amy!!

Nicole said...

Yes! Happens to me, and especially when I'm at the dentist! It is sore afterward for a while too! Sorry about the cavities. You sound like me now!

Stacie said...

yep, it happens, not to too many people, but definitely happens. Try not to open quite so wide next time, just relax the jaw a little more and it shouldn't be so bad.

Mari said...

Rees and I see it ALLLLLLL the time. He's even popped mine back in a time or two. You can ask for a bite block if your jaw gets tired--sometimes that helps! (It's a piece of rubber that holds your mouth open instead of you having to use your own muscles). Good luck and I'm sorry!

Lindsay said...

Happens to me as well. My dad (a dentist) always told me not to worry about it unless it hurts. Just this last year, during a move across the country, new schools, renting a home, selling a home, etc. it got a lot worse and would happen in the mornings. He told me that I must be grinding/clinching my teeth at night as a result of stress, and to get a bite guard. It worked - no longer a problem. Mike, there honestly were mornings I would wake up and have to wait 30 minutes for my mouth to open all the way.