Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Last Meal

Several weeks ago on NPR I caught the tail end of a discussion with an artist who has painted around 350 last meals of death row inmates on china plates. The radio announcer mentioned that they would be on display at a college about 50 miles from my home so Mike and I decided to go. Please note that I am not an artist and I must admit here that I don't have a great understanding of art. HOWEVER, I do love food and I love knowing what people eat and what could be more fascinating than finding out what kind of meal a person about to die would request. So on Saturday we went with our traveling circus plus a friend and saw the exhibit.
Lots of steak, eggs, cake, hamburgers, pizza, fried chicken and pie. Several "no last meal requested". Some random ones including, a bag of jolly ranchers and another one for Spam. The saddest one of all was a plate that simply had the words "birthday cake was given because prisoner never had birthday cake". So very sad.
Sobering exhibit.

If I had to choose a last meal I think I would like king crab legs with butter, mango chicken from my favorite Indian restaurant, grapefruit and peanut butter and chocolate cookies. What would you choose?

4 comments:

lys said...

A giant plate of seafood and key lime pie.

Nicole said...

That's very depressing Amy! I can't even think of something. Well, maybe this delicious pork chop dish I had in Solvang once. I practically licked the plate clean.

Laura said...

This is interesting to me. Is the exhibit still on? Maybe I'll go...
For my last meal? Let me think.
Pepperoni pizza with avocado slices from Round Table.
Lobster with melted butter.
Sweet potato casserole (the one with butter, sugar, eggs, and a brown-sugar-pecan-streudel topping.
Hot rolls.
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for dessert. All you can eat.
Might as well die with a belly full of REALLY FATTENING food! What a way to go!

AmyJune said...

Laura-unfortunately last weekend was the end of the exhibit, and i don't know where it went from there(Cal State LA)