Sunday, December 6, 2009

Retro Night

My sister and I thought it would be fun to have a "retro food night" with lots of treasures from the past. We started off with velveeta cheese and crackers, little smokies, SPAM(incredibly we ate the whole can) and water chestnuts wrapped in bacon. We then moved on to dinner consisting of,
XLNT brand tamales(my mom used to feed these to us all the time),

Carrot salad(made with mayo and raisins-another creation made often growing up which I never really cared for),

Orange jello with pineapple and mandarin oranges (I only remember eating jello once a year on Thanksgiving growing up and I LOVE this, eventhough I am not a huge jello fan),

Ambrosia salad (my bro in law ate this growing up)

Tuna casserole and green bean casserole(Mike's childhood)

It was fun to walk down memory lane.
What did you eat growing up?
And let me just state for the record that food fascinates me. I have always been fascinated with what people eat and why. I love food. I love to eat it, to make it and to read all types of cookbooks.

6 comments:

lys said...

Looks like a spread from a Mormon potluck!!!

Andy said...

Oh the dreaded shredded carrots, mayo, and raisins!

What about this tasty creation: bell peppers stuffed with something spicy (and beef?)

Or "mexican casserole"?

AmyJune said...

Andy-Jean wanted mexican casserole but even as an adult the thought of it makes me want to gag.

amy stansel said...

oh wow!! looks ummmmm tasty!!! looks like fun and definitely something you would have come up with. I love it!

Emily said...

Some of us really like Smokies:)

Laura said...

What about the raspberry jello with cream cheese balls floating in it? That was one of my mom's faves. Also, we had A LOT of scones (fry-bread) with honey-butter over the years...hmm...that sounds like a winner for my family, maybe I'll try that this weekend!
I HATED that shredded carrot and raisin "salad"!!! Don't be sharing that recipe with me!