Thursday, November 6, 2008

6 days and counting.....

Julia has now had the stomach flu for six days....and counting. At this point, I have lost track of how many times I have washed her sheets and clothing over the past week. Blake and I both had it for 24 hours several days ago and we are fine. Lucky Mike never had it, he just had to take care of all of us when we were sick-unlucky him.
This week has made me REALLY grateful for my otherwise healthy kids. And hopefully, I will be released from "house arrest" soon. And I am also grateful for a good washing machine. And a helpful husband.
Anyone have any tips for getting rid of this? (when I called the doctor this morning, she very nonchalantly told me to keep her on the BRAT diet and call her back if she is still sick in a WEEK. Are you kidding? This could go on for another week....)

10 comments:

Becky M said...

Oh, I'm so sorry she's still sick! Do you want me to bring over any new movies? Call me if you need anything.

Emily said...

That seems an awfully long time to have the stomach flu. Hope she gets better soon!

amy stansel said...

oh i am so sorry. That is the worst. We went through that at the end of the summer. I'm sure you've already done it but open EVERY window in the house, turn on all fans possible to air all germs out and at the same time use clorox wipes and wipe all door knobs. Not super advice but it's something. Good luck!!!

Jill said...

Good luck. Let us know if you need anything.

Laura said...

Ok, here is my sage advice, see if this helps:
Boil 1/2 C rice in 2 cups water, then pour off the remaining water and strain all the rice out of it. You can mix it with juice and have her drink as much of it as possible. For some reason, the starches in this rice-water really help to bind up the runs, and they can usually keep it down pretty well. I know that sometimes their little bodies get stuck in a cycle and you have to break it before they will really start to feel better. I swear by that rice water. You can freeze it in juice to make popsicles too.

AmyJune said...

Thanks Laura I will try that tonight.

Stacie said...

Great idea, Laura. I have never heard of that. I remember Keri having a similar problem when she was little. I had to keep her off of ALL dairy for weeks to finally get rid of it. It would seem like she was over it, then I'd give her some milk and it would start all over again. Poor Julia! (and you too) I assume she's had a blessing... Let me know if I can do anything.

Arizona Cotchers said...

You all must be exhausted! I'm so sorry she's been so sick. Hopefully she's on the mend soon.

Mommymita said...

We've had it too - the laundry and the flu!

I do a crock pot of 1 cup rice and 6 cups water and let it cook for 4-6 hours. It becomes a sort of porridge and you can add brown sugar if you like. I make the whole family eat it because at least if someone else throws up it is white - easy to clean up kind, unlike the umm post Halloween candy kind.

Good luck, keep that cute little girl hydrated

Ashley said...

That seems like a long time to be throwing up, poor little thing. I hope she feels better soon. Keep her hydrated.