Friday, March 16, 2007

A Fond Farewell to Grandma


Grandma died on Wednesday at age 98. When I tell people that my grandma died they offer their condolences and say they are sorry, but I'm not sorry that she died. I'm actually happy for her because she has been waiting to die for a long time. Grandpa died 25 years ago, her son (my dad) died 10 years ago and all of her siblings and friends have been dead a very long time. She lived a very long and full life and she was ready to go. I imagine she had a very happy reunion with all of her family and friends. Even though we will all miss her spunky spirit and zest for life, I know she is in a better, happier place. Goodbye Grandma and I hope you are dancing with Frank up there. And thanks for always entertaining us with your hilarious stories about life.

4 comments:

lys said...

I really liked Vineta. She was a spunky lady. It's hard to believe that someone so fiesty could suddenly be gone.

Emily said...

Amy, I feel the same way about many of the funerals I go to: I am sincerely happy for the people to have made it to the next destination. Especially when someone is very old, and is ready to die. My grandma was the same way. I hope your family has had a week of sharing happy memories and feeling the thinness of the veil.

Andy said...

I miss Grandma already. I told her last year that we were going to visit her when we returned from Brazil and she said, "Ohhhh, I hope I'm not alive then!" I'm just sorry I didn't get to say goodbye, but I know she must be SO happy to be with Frank and dad again.

I'll never forget her telling us that she was the "King Necker." That still cracks me up.

Kate said...

That is a beautiful tribute to your Grandma.