Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Obsessed

If I already posted about this I'm sorry. ....but I am obsessed with creamed spinach.
About a year ago we went to a Polish restaurant for dinner. On the side of my plate was a little scoop of a creamy green substance. I about died of joy upon tasting it. I NEVER knew spinach could taste so good. I have an aversion to plain cooked spinach because as a child I was served this soggy side dish A LOT and it just felt like I was eating soggy toilet pepper with a touch of bitter. YUCK. Add some lemon juice and double YUCK. (sorry Mom if you are reading this)
Well a few months ago I finally decided to attempt this at home. I had no recipe but knew that it had to contain butter, cream and nutmeg and a pinch of sugar. Oh wow, so easy to make. You have to try it. Seriously. I've died and gone to heaven.

Creamed Spinach Polish Style
Take several large handfuls of baby spinach and saute them in a frying pan with a bit of butter, salt and garlic. Grate some fresh nutmeg over this mixture and cook until wilted. Transfer to the food processor and add a little cream and about 1-2 tsp. of sugar. Blend until creamy. And then watch yourself EAT IT ALL. Sorry no picture.

7 comments:

Becky said...

YES! i love creamed spinach also. and any recipe that calls for a handful of ingredients seems even more lovely. have you ever tried the creamed spinach at ruth's chris? i found a copycat recipe here (http://www.food.com/recipe/ruths-chris-steak-house-creamed-spinach-31045) but havent tried it due to all the dairy. thought perhaps you would like a try at it. (and if you do, let me know what you think!)

Karmy McKee said...

Sounds yummy!

lys said...

It's probably really good, but that's a weird thing to be obsessed with. ;) Love you. xoxo

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

I love spinach! I love it in salads, I love it creamed!
Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Here's one of mine:

Low-Fat Creamed Spinach
1 Tb. extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach,
thawed, partially drained
1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese
(or more, to taste)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Dash of nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
In small saucepan, sauté garlic in oil. Add spinach and cheese; stir until cheese is thoroughly melted. Add seasonings. Serves 4.
Per serving: 62 calories, 4.1g protein, 3.7g fat (0.5g saturated), 4g carbohydrates, 1.5g fiber, 120mg sodium.

Mommymita said...

Amy and dresden - you guys got me curious! Just may try it this weekend

Nicole said...

Maybe you'll have to make it for me else I will probably never taste it! I'll trade you for some of the Apple Streusel Bars that are in my oven as we speak!! :-)

rebecca said...

Ok, but can I have the recipe for people without natural cooking abilities? I need measurements! "A bit" and "a little" scare me!